Hi Hank,

I haven't been following this thread closely, but it seem like you are
experiencing some of the same problems I had using Base HSQLDB.  I
eventually decided to move my Accounting Project to the H2 Database Engine,
(see http://www.h2database.com/html/main.html).

Some of the many advantages of H2 are -
- Separate files for Data and Project
- Can be run in single or multi-user mode
- Users report successfully running very large databases
- An active users forum

I have found H2 to be very stable and have not regretted making the change.
If you are interested at all, I can point you to a very good tutorial for
replacing HSQLDB with H2.

This may not be what you are looking for, but it's probably worth your
while at least having a look at what H2 has to offer.

Noel
--
Noel Lodge
lodg...@gmail.com