Update: happened again today.

I shut down my Fedora 15 with LibreOffice running and the
password-protected document open (which I do often). When I restarted
the computer that document opened with a dialogue that it had been
changed and did I want to save the changes? I took a look at 'save as'
and the 'save with password' box was unchecked. Unfortunately I can't
remember what state the document was in before I shut down but I know I
wouldn't have unchecked the 'save with password' box.

I put a check into the 'Save with password' and saved-as and now it's
working right again.

LibreOffice 3.5.7.2; Build ID: 350m1 (Build 2).