Hi :)
Is it a file that everyone needs access to at their own desks?  Is it possible
to just have 1 desktop with MSO on it and then people update the file from
there?

If the other organisation is not Oracle then they might well be willing to
re-write the code or have it re-written or allow it to be re-written "for
improved security" and to allow it to be used with Free Software.  A lot of
people start off with both MS Office and LibreOffice/OpenOffice on their
machines at the beginning of a migration or just to be able to deal with a
wider variety of clients.  Perhaps the organisation that needs this spreadsheet
filled in might be willing to install LibreOffice on their machines rather than
forcing you to buy a lot of licenses for something you wouldn't otherwise need.

It seems you have some leverage there.  There are probably people on this list
that wouldn't mind being paid a little to translate the macros and at far less
than the cost of a lot of MSO licenses.  I'm no good with macros btw, jic you
were wondering.