Hi :)
+1
to all of Jay's various points there.  I totally agree.

The "another private company", the one that sent the offending spreadsheet,
appears to be Oracle.  So,
1.  it's extremely unlikely that they will re-write the macros for LibreOffice
or even for OpenOffice (same macro languages)
2.  that fact the macros seem horribly broken is not a surprise either and they
probably wont fix them
3.  If we could fix them and send to the original poster so that he could send
the results to the "another company"  in an ODF document then that would be a
bit of a triumph for all of us.

Yes, it would be nice if someone here got paid for the work but that is
unlikely to happen.  Ideally i would like someone here to get paid perhaps
somewhat less than the cost of new MSO licenses for the op's machines.  Perhaps
Andrew Pitonyak, Alex, Jay, Dan(?) or someone else that knows macro coding well
enough to get it done quite quickly.

At the moment the company that approached us doesn't have any versions of MSO
(apart fromt he old 2003 lurking somewhere) and it's only being forced into
buying MSO by this 1 document from Oracle!!  It's outrageous that Oracle would
do such a thing but again, no surprise!  So, even if no-one got paid it would
still be a good result for us.