Hi :)
The situation is improving now that people are moving to ODF more and more.
Relying on a single companies whims has of course left a lingering problem but
ODF is defined by a large group of companies most of which produce software
that is designed to read the formats.

So, if you stick with MS formats then you are still relying on a situation that
hasn't changed in 30years.  If you have moved to ODF then things are a lot more
stable and reliable because there are a lot of products that can read ODF
sucessfully.