Hi Girvin.
For security I created a mysql user 'backup' with read only access for backup.
I make the cron script readable by root only

-rwxr-x--- 1 root root 586 2012-12-05 16:19 /etc/cron.backup/dailytmp.bu

MYSQL_PWD="*******" mysqldump -ubackup --all-databases --add-drop-database | gzip -9 > /home/bu/mysql.sql.gz

Steve

On 2013-05-29 06:57, Girvin R. Herr wrote:
Sajan,
The only problem I see with a cron job is a security issue. I assume you are putting your MySQL password(s) in your cron job script, since mysqldump requires it. I would not recommend doing that. I have a system backup script which I manually run monthly. It does not include the passwords. When that script runs, mysqldump prompts me for the password, I enter it, and off it goes.

I might add that I have been using mysqldump for several years and I have not had any problems with it or with retrieving the database data from its backup files. I need to retrieve the backup when I upgrade MySQL, in order to restore my databases in the new version. It works fine, even when I upgraded from MySQL 5.0.67 to 5.5.29.
Girvin Herr

Sajan Parikh wrote:
Someone mentioned mysqldump, this is definitely the way to go. Set it up
on a cron and have it dump files to a backup directory.

------
*Sajan Parikh*
*Web Consultant, Noppix LLC*

*Work* - 563.726.0371