On 7/9/13 2:12 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Writer, Word and WordPerfect and others do seem to be designed for business
> letters and fairly short works.  LaTeX (and the various front-ends (such as
> LyX) that attempt to make it easier to use) do seem to have advantages for
> larger works but are more difficult to wrestle with in the beginning when you
> are learning how to use them.  Many people try and give up or find them a
> total nightmare.  However, people DO manage to use Writer to do larger books.
>  Piers Anthony, the famous sci-fi writer, mentions it in the preface to most
> of his books.  Also our Documentation Team.  Our Documentation Team have even
> published an ePub and since found an easier way of doing it.  We should be
> learning from them and gain from their experience.

I have heard rave reviews about Scrivener,  but was not impressed when I
looked at it,  but then I don't usually write books......  It looked
very robust and comprehensive, but a bit complex as far as setting up
your templates,  but I suppose the same can be said of writer.

There is also a latex lab for google docs which I have played with if
you want to be that granular....