On 08/07/2013 03:14 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> Brilliant.  Larger file-size is a better test and some of those comparisons
> were really interesting.  So.doc loads and saves much more slowly.
>
> I dont know how they do it but the docs team write each chapter of the guides
> separately and then combine them into 1 book at the end.  Master documents
> perhaps?
> Regards from
> Tom :)
Hi Tom,

Hmmm! Very interesting idea. I don't know why the idea of writing each
chapter separately was not brought to my mind. Maybe because I didn't
know how Master documents work. Or maybe because the original .doc
template had not used Master document. But I had seen different chapters
combining together in .tex template of my university, and I was aware of
that capability in LaTeX but not in LO Writer.
Anyway I have currently written many parts of my work in a huge document
and I must cope with it.

I really don't expect LO Writer to do magic for me, especially that I've
seen that MS Office is slow too in loading heavy files. But I think that
MS Office is still much faster in loading and saving huge files partly
because it fully uses multiple cores of a CPU, partly because it doesn't
load whole of a file at once (e.g. you can read and edit first parts of
a doc while it's loading further parts if needed) and partly because it
can save the file while you can scroll.

Anyhow, it's very important for LO to support multi-threading because
number of cores in upcoming CPUs is continually increasing and without
using multi-threading LO won't be able to use the vast performance power
of future CPUs.

I also believe that shifting LO source code from Java to C++ could be a
good idea, because Java and its virtual machine have considerable
overhead which could slow down the performance specifically during the
work with large files.

Best,
   Sina Momken