Hi :)
Yes, that was exactly what i was talking about.

In your example if we then changed the style called "default" from Liberation
to Arial then the change would cascade through "text-body" and any other styles
that were linked in that way.  Changing from 12pt to 11pt would also ripple
through, cascade through.  Linked headings would now be Arial and slightly
smaller, perhaps dropping from 16pt to 14pt or from 48pt to 36pt or something
like that.  I think.  it might be just that they keep the same font-size but
might have only changed from Liberation to Arial.

Many styles are linked by default. I think all the ones about numbered or
un-numbered lists, and stuff like that is all linked to the text-bod or default
(or one through the other).  I just don't know which ones are affected by which
but so far haven't noticed anything unpleasant going on so it's obviously been
done in a way that i would want it done.

Occasionally (but very rarely) i've found some text in a wrong format with an
apparently wrong style applied in a wrong way.  Usually cut&paste but pasting
as unformatted text (and then re-apply the same style) has solved that.

So although i haven't really read that chapter of the guide i still find the
little i have gleaned from a quick glance at a small part of it has helped me
hugely.  I really should read the rest!