Hi :)
Machines of that low spec have trouble with Windows Xp too.  A fresh
reinstall of Windows just about works for maybe a year.  Generally
with that age of machine it's a case of frequent defrags and stick to
old versions of programs such as MS Office.

Ubuntu is not the lightest distro.  It is made to compete with Win7/8
rather than Win98.  If you want something lighter and faster then go
for a distro that requires much lower specs.  For example Xubuntu or
Lubuntu or pretty much anything else.