On January 29, 2014 2:15:15 PM PST, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak  wrote:

>But the Largest US Cities are generally not on the coast (which does not  make
>your statement wrong).

Of the 7 cities listed, only two of them are not international ports, with
container ships arriving/departing on a daily basis.

>In fact, if I list the top 20, there is a very small number on the coast.

More than 40% of the US population lives in either BosWash or SanSan.
(Something else they have in common, is that both are one earthquake away from
being completely obliterated from the map.)

>smallest  average travel distance, you pick the middle of Ohio (Columbus,
>Ohio).

Shortest distance does not correlate with "easiest to get to".
SanSan residents will go through Atlanta.
BosWash residents will go through either Detroit or Chicago.
Fly-over country residents will probably go through both Denver and Chicago.

>1. Easy / cheap air fare to the location
>2. Affordable lodging and food

Affordable lodging means going during the off season.
Cheap airfare means getting either a 90 day or 180 day APEX fare.

Also consider that rail is a viable alternative in BosWash.

###

Something I've missed in the conversation is:
* Roughly how many people are the organizers planning for?
* How many days will it last?

* Of those that might be going, is there a geographic  centre that might be
more appropriate?
A while ago I saw something that implied that there was an extremely large
cluster of LibO users in Puget Sound.

jonathon