On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Mark LaPierre <marklap...@aol.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> Hey Alex,
>
> So what you are saying is that I can create a LO Base DB that references
> tables stored in the standalone HSQLDB database with the JDBC connector,
> and use that .odb file as a back end to another LO Base DB which acts as
> a front end?  I've read, and been told on this mail list that LO Base
> can't do that.  If I could do that I wouldn't need the standalone
> HSQLDB, just a plain .odb file with some tables in it.
>
> I've been trying to get this set up for months with no success.  I could
> have done all this and more with Microsoft Access in just a few days.
> This really shouldn't be this hard.
>
> I think I need someone to hold my hand through the creation of just one
> very simple LO Base DB with just two tables in it.
>

> Mark,

I think your confusion lies in equating an .odb file with an Access
database. The .odb file never contains the data. It is a sort of registry
that points to wherever the data is. Thus, Base is the front end, a real
database is the back end, and the .odb file serves as the intermediary (to
oversimplify).

John