Hi :)
I think Noel (& Marion)'s good experience of H2 being sooo much better than
Base is purely down to them moving away from the internal back-end in
Base.  The version of HsqlDb mentioned by Noel is the 1.8 which Andreas
identified as being the version used as the internal back-end in Base.

People using HsqlDb as an external back-end would have been pushed into
upgrading many times in the last decade or so.  Not upgrading would have
been a lot like sticking with Win98.  So i believe it was the move to a
more modern version of a database program that gave Noel the fantastic
improvements he experienced.

Java-based back-ends do have a reputation for being much faster for the
relatively small databases that most of us probably use.  The one with 1
billion records might well find that moving to something heftier such as
Postgresql or MySql/MariaDb does the trick.

Although there might be some performance advantages to moving from the
heftier back-ends to the smaller&faster ones there are several
disadvantages around doing the move.  Internet facing Servers using LAMP or
WAMP and web-hosting companies tend to already have MySql/MariaDb (hence
the M i think) so it'd be a bit like installing a different Office Suite
for each document rather than trying to stick with just 1 or 2.