Hi all,

Le 17/02/2021 à 16:22, Dave Howorth a écrit :
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 09:03:41 -0500
> John Kaufmann <kaufm...@nb.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-02-17 04:06, sophi wrote:
>>
>>> Just to let you know, we, at TDF, are working on replacing the Ask
>>> forum by Discourse. We have had a test period with the members
>>> regularly answering on Ask. If Discourse is not fully replacing a
>>> Q&A forum, it is the most appropriate at the moment and we can
>>> extend it to serve other purposes on the future.
>>> The difficulty is currently to migrate the Ask archive to
>>> Discourse, but that will be worked out by our infra team on the
>>> next months.
>>
>> Looks interesting, and seems to have potential to subsume also the
>> mailing list system. (It needs to be integrated with a MTA, which it
>> does not provide, but merging web and mailing list forums seems to be
>> an explicit objective.) If so, that could solve the problem of which
>> forum (AskLibO or mailing list) to use for a question. Is the intent
>> to also migrate the mailing lists to Discourse?
>
> I seriously hope not! Discourse works OK as a forum but the mailing
> list side is very much a poor cousin. Far easier and better to use a
> plain mailing list IME & IMHO.

haha! this is always the same: some dislike it, others want it
absolutely ;-) So to make it clear, we will not replace mailing lists,
but maybe, as we do between IRC/Telegram/Matrix, add a bridge between
Discourse and the mailing lists, something like what Nabble is doing
currently (allowing then to remove Nabble which is an external service),
making everybody happy :) This will be in a second step, moving from Ask
is the first, we have several languages hosted on Ask, so it's a huge move.

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier so...@libreoffice.org