Hi Chris,

we will be shipping Berkeley DB 4.4.20 with the 8.0.0 - to be compatible with 6.2u5 systems.

We dropped support for the Berkeley DB RPC server (berkeley_db_svc) though.
It is no longer supported in current versions of Berkeley DB (IIRC starting with 4.8).

Regarding your issue with installation not finding the libdb.so:
In the Berkeley DB binaries we ship with Grid Engine we set the runpath to ../../lib/<arch> to make our binaries find the libdb.so without setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

There are 2 possible fixes for that:

  1. When installing the binaries, call distinst with the option
     -shlibpath. With this option set, the installation will add
     $SGE_ROOT/lib/<arch> to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and add code setting
     LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the settings.[c]sh files as well.
  2. Build Berkeley DB in such a way that it contains the run path.
     Requires patching a file (dist/ltmain.sh) in the BDB code, and
     setting 2 environment variables during the BDB build:

     export LD_RUN_PATH='$ORIGIN/../../lib/lx-amd64'
     export ORIGIN='$ORIGIN'

     The patch (for bdb 4.4.20) is:

     1318c1318,1324

     <            *) rpath="$rpath $arg" ;;

     ---

     >              *)

     >                if [ "$LD_RUN_PATH" = "" ]; then

     >                  rpath="$rpath $arg"

     >                else

     >                  rpath="$rpath $LD_RUN_PATH"

     >                fi

     >                ;;

Joachim

Chris Dagdigian wrote:
I just did a 'git clone' of the current source over at Github and was
able to build (I think) 100% of the code. This is a 64 bit system
running CentOS 5.5

Everything built from source without too much hassle

... including the java stuff classes, the GUI installer and the hadoop
herd classes. Never got the hadoop stuff to build before so this was a first

Looks like Univa is going to call this "Grid Engine 8.0.0 alpha" at
least according to the GUI and client versions that show up.

So far a test installation as gone fine except for one small problem ...

I had compiled the gridengine codebase against an older version of
berkelydb (one that still supports RPC server) that I had built and
stored at /opt/berkeley-db/lib/libdb-4.7.so

The problem is that when I packege up my build and go to install Grid
Engine, the install fails because when it tries to set up the inital
berkeley spooling database the local SGE lib "libspoolb.so" complains
about not being able to find "libdb-4.7.so"

Easy fix on my test system via ld.so.conf or whatever but it makes me
think that I've built something wrong ... I thought I was doing a static
build where all the external libraries would come along for the ride ...

Any aimk or aimk.site people have any tips for making sure the proper
BDB libraries/objects accompany the courtesy binaries?

dag

Notice from Univa Postmaster:

contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of
the original message. This message has been content scanned by the Univa Mail
system.