I built Son-of-GridEngine and the Github Grid Engine over the weekend, I'll post a blog entry about it on Monday.

Links to 32 and 64 bit Linux binaries for both versions are at this short link:

 http://biote.am/sge

If anyone feels like testing these and giving feedback I'd appreciate it. Have only run it on the systems where I built the code so there is a chance that the binaries will complain about missing dependencies or some other issue on more pristine Linux systems.

Still needs testing but I'm getting back into being comfortable with the build process. Next step is Mac OS X

The Son of Grid Engine herd issues are mainly because building of it is commented out in the build.xml file

The Son of Grid Engine GUI issues are (I think) caused by missing logo.png files -- the build process bombs out complaining that it can't find a .png file that is needed to build one of the visualization panes.

I'm going to do some testing of those binaries this week and also work on OS X builds. The goal on our end (bioteam) is to have curtesy binaries that we don't mind sharing with others.

-Chris

Dave Love wrote:
Chris Dagdigian<d...@sonsorol.org>  writes:

Everything built from source without too much hassle

... including the java stuff classes, the GUI installer and the hadoop
herd classes. Never got the hadoop stuff to build before so this was a first

I finally figured out the problems with herd and the GUI installer too,
though I've only built my version with some non-fundamental build
changes.  One thing that was fooling me was confusion between the IzPack
distribution and 3rdparty/IzPack, partly because the build requires to
write to the installed IzPack distribution; I wonder if that's actually
necessary.

Can anyone say what the exact Java dependencies are?  If not, I'll try
to build in a minimal VM sometime to check (modulo versions).

I had compiled the gridengine codebase against an older version of
berkelydb (one that still supports RPC server) that I had built and
stored at /opt/berkeley-db/lib/libdb-4.7.so

For what it's worth, I made changes to use the system libraries (with an
aimk flag), but I don't remember if there was much too it.  I should try
to do some more work on rpm building.