On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 at 14:45 -0000, William Bryce wrote:

> > And finally, Platform Analytics does reporting properly! I
> > attended a business analyst workshop a few years ago, and after
> > knowing how companies are handling their data for analysis, I
> > immediately realized that the ARCo way was not efficient. While
> > both ARCo & Platform Analytics store job & cluster information to
> > a database, the way data is archived & processed makes a huge
> > difference in load of the database, and the type of queries that
> > can be easily issued by the cluster administrator.
>
> Yup, exactly right.  That is why we created UniSight.  It is an ETL
> engine and complete BI server based on Pentaho. So when you run your
> report query on 5 million jobs it doesn't take the whole day.

It only takes 7 seconds elapsed time for qacct to report on 2.7M
records.

A little bit of perl converts the data to a .csv file and I can let
others play with the data for hours in excel.

I don't understand the BI problem...and don't want to either.  I think
these are toys for those in the corner offices (but then I'm not in
the corner office or making the big bucks).

Stuart
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone