web interfaces are a check box requirement that can get added to
systems.

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 at 00:47 -0000, Chi Chan wrote:

> Besides the xml-qstat, is there a web GUI or interface for Grid
> Engine?

I have only briefly looked at xml-qstat.  If I remember correctly its
dependencies where a lot more complex than I wanted to review at the
time.  If you are already running all the java dependencies it might
be a good display for some users.  I searched for, but couldn't find
the earlier perl based xml-qstat which sounded to me to be a better
system to work from.

We are doing some web displays in drupel, but they are custom to our
installation.  In particular, we are integrating data from other
systems (RT, ganglia, our green power control system, etc) into
combined views.  Others are doing the actual work, so I don't know
implementation details.

For me, the command line tools are often better.  I can get the answer
to the question I have at the moment.  Integrating info from multiple
systems into consolidated web views can simplify administrative
monitoring giving some of the more common query needs.

> I've tried xml-qstat, it can view submited jobs but does not offer a
> way to submit jobs.

I'm very adverse to a general purpose web submission tool (despite it
often being a check box requirement).

The first issue is the user authentication and authorization problems.
These can be solved in various ways, but often end up being
organization specific.

To be general purpose it needs to support all of the qsub options in
all forms and combinations.  This makes for a pretty busy submission
page.  It could be split into basic and advances submission pages (if
you can define what basic means to your users).

How many people actually use the qmon submission page?  People might
try it once and then give up.  For a complex submission you need to
remember to fill in a lot of boxes correctly.

Simple scripts can put all of the options in the script.  For more
complex submissions I put sample qsub commands as comments in the
script showing various ways of submitting the jobs.  For a couple of
things I use a shell script to do the submission with appropriate
options.

We also have some people working on application submission web pages.
Although these might use SGE behind the scenes, the users just see
these as application specific web pages.

Stuart Barkley
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone