On Thu, 2018-07-26 at 14:01 +1000, Derrick Lin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on a prolog script which setup xfs quota on disk space
> per job basis.
>
> For setting up xfs quota in sub directory, I need to provide project
> ID.
>
> Here is how I did for generating project ID:
>
> XFS_PROJID_CF="/tmp/xfs_projid_counter"
>
> echo $JOB_ID >> $XFS_PROJID_CF
> xfs_projid=$(wc -l < $XFS_PROJID_CF)
>
> My test shows, when there are multiple jobs start on the same exec
> host at the same time, the prolog script is executed almost the same
> time, results multiple jobs share the same xfs_projid, which is no
> good.
>
> I am wondering if I can configure the scheduler to start the jobs in
> a sequential way (probably has a interval in between).

Hi Derrick,

Assuming you're using Bash (based on your snippets above), it's
probably better to use flock to lock/unlock your project id counter
file and ensure exclusive access.  There's some basic examples in the
man page, and a Gist with very useful functions here:

    https://gist.github.com/przemoc/571091

                                        Cheers,
                                                Chris