The point to understand is that the internet is a layered communication system.
There are actually seven layers in the model (see
http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/OSI_Layers.asp) but for this discussion the
only two that are important are the TCP/IP layer (network/transport) and the
HTTP layer (application).

As annoying as the requests might be to you, they are valid TCP/IP packets so
the network/transport layer is required to deliver them. Only when you get to
the HTTP layer (and see the contents) can you decide you don't want them.
Apache is an application and can only block at the HTTP layer - it can't
interfere with TCP/IP. Similarly, anything that works at the TCP/IP layer
(bridge, FW, router) *cannot* interfere with the contents of the packets.

It's like you say to your secretary, "I don't want to see any more letters from
Fred Bloggs". You secretary (apache) can open your letters for you and bin any
from Fred Bloggs but she can't stop the postman delivering them. Also, you
can't ask the postman not to deliver letters from certain people since he's not
allowed to open the mail before he delivers it to you.

So the bottom line is that you can't do it like you want...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Is this possible to do on Apache (running on Red Hat)?
> Thanks in advance.
>

> __________________________________
> Yahoo! Mail

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and
any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any
hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and
the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.