On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 at 19:01, Matt England wrote:

> A file (named /x/y/tmp/bigfile for this example) of size 4219052708 bytes
> did not display in my browser for my Apache 2.0.52 server.  Any ideas why not?
>
> All the other files had no problems with this display.
>
> I suspect it has to do with the file size?
>
> How might I display this file in the future so I can download it?

You are correct. The filesize is to blame.

Indeed, all bar the most recent httpd releases (2.0.54 and newer) can't
handle files larger than 2GB on 32-bit systems. 2.0.54 has a 'workaround'
that allows files < 4GB to be served, but you'll need to use an alpha
2.1/2.2 release in order to serve files > 4GB. Of course, if you're lucky
enough to have a 64-bit system at your disposal, 4+ GB files work out of
the box.

Unfortunately the only solution for your problem is to use an FTP server
for that file. Stable Apache releases simply won't serve it.

-Dan