Sorry for the most elemental of situations but I am new to the web
development arena and am interested in building WB-database applications
for friends and family.  I used to be a programmer back in the early
70's (BAL, COBOL, FORTRAN, RPG, CRTs linked to mainframes, you get the
picture) and I got nominated to build a web-based hobby/business.

I operate on a home network consisting of a laptop with MS-Office XP
Standard and a desktop (my son's) with MS-Office XP Professional, both
of which are Version 2002.  I am PC literate as it relates to MS Office,
Excel, Word and PowerPoint and have never done anything through MS DOS.
I have high speed internet through Road Runner.

I would like to initially build a web server and applications on my home
network for learning/experimenting (no one but me will have access)
before I venture out of my box.

>From my initial very broad-based reading, it seems I should work with
Apache, PHP and MySQL as well learn the basics of HTML and SQL which I
have already started.

Does anyone have sources you can point me to and/or thoughts on how best
to proceed without feeling totally overwhelmed moving forward with my
new ambition?

Thanks for any empathy and I apologize if there was a better forum for
my question,

Dave