Sorry, I did not mean to reject the advice already given to me by starting
a new thread.  It is just that I have done what was suggested and it still
does not work.

Acting as a caller, I can indeed reach a specific ascii file, but I cannot
reach the intervening directory.  My hope was to contact someone who
has the combination same as mine (some html and some ascii) in order
to privately ask what should be my settings.

I did set the <Directory> note as someone suggested, but it doesn't work.

What is the "root" directory?  is it an absolute path, and if not, where does
it begin?  The absolute path to all the files is
/home/httpd/vhosts/aidsinfobbs.org/httpdocs

Should I set it like this:

<Directory /home/httpd/vhosts/aidsinfobbs.org/httpdocs>

Or should the ascii files all be gathered in a special directory under
the level ~httpdocs?  (This was not necessary bvfore, and would screw
up all references stored in search engines the past 10 years.)  If that
special diredtory were "bbs" I might then put

<Directory /bbs>   ?  But is it necessary?

Ben
(if I seem dumb or obstinate it is becasue I do not understand)

From:  Ben Gardiner
Return address:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]