Joshua Kogut wrote:

Hey guys, here's an analogy concerning Php and MP. You can go to a store,
and you have $100 US to buy something to help you hammer nails. The logical
choice is that you should buy a hammer right? It does what you need it to,
and the shallow learning curve is nice. But, on the way to the hammer
section, you see this multi-purpose tool that can not only hammer the nail
for you, but it can also buy the nail, hold the nail in the wood, and then
make lemonade for you. Now, you go buy the multi-purpose tool, bring it
home, and then realize that it doesn't do the one job that you wanted it
for, hammering, as well as a hammer would.

This is how I felt with Perl. It did so many things that I felt that it just
couldn't concentrate one one thing enough, web applications. So, I found
myself at php.net <http://php.net> one day and fell in love with the trusty
hammer.

i _really_ like your analogy even i strongly disagree (perl/mp is a toolbox rather than a single multi-purpose-tool IMO)

so, you could turn that analogy upside down ;)

let's say you opted to buy the cheap tool (the simple hammer) and you got home and started hammering. midway thru you realize that you made a mistake so you want the nail out but now you haven't got the tool because the tool you bought can only hammer.

so you go back to the shop and "invest" in the toolbox. (actually you just swap your original hammer with the toolbox since they are both the same price ). then you go home again. you open the toolbox. wow. theres a hammer ... no wait there are 2,3,4,N hammers, different sizes, different materials, different colours. but please don't use the screwdrivers as a hammer. there are also N tools to take out the nails. did you run out of nails? no problem, look in the box.

./allan