Fedora Core 4
Apache 2.0.54

I seem to be having this same problem.  I read the manual at:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/cgi.html#writing

and created the "first.pl" file. when I run "./first.pl" from the command line, all it prints is:

and does not print the "Hello, World." at all.

And in my browser - it gives me the "Internal Server Error"

All it says in my error logs is:

[Thu Feb 23 08:55:35 2006] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Premature end of script headers: first.pl

If anyone could point me in the direction where I need to look, it would be greatly appriciated

In following the directions from the manual above, here's the pertanant info from my httpd.conf file:

# LoadModule foo_module modules/mod_foo.so
#
LoadModule access_module modules/mod_access.so
LoadModule auth_module modules/mod_auth.so
LoadModule auth_anon_module modules/mod_auth_anon.so
LoadModule auth_dbm_module modules/mod_auth_dbm.so
LoadModule auth_digest_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so
LoadModule ldap_module modules/mod_ldap.so
LoadModule auth_ldap_module modules/mod_auth_ldap.so
LoadModule include_module modules/mod_include.so
LoadModule log_config_module modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule logio_module modules/mod_logio.so
LoadModule env_module modules/mod_env.so
LoadModule mime_magic_module modules/mod_mime_magic.so
LoadModule cern_meta_module modules/mod_cern_meta.so
LoadModule expires_module modules/mod_expires.so
LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
LoadModule usertrack_module modules/mod_usertrack.so
LoadModule setenvif_module modules/mod_setenvif.so
LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so
LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
LoadModule autoindex_module modules/mod_autoindex.so
LoadModule asis_module modules/mod_asis.so
LoadModule info_module modules/mod_info.so
LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule dir_module modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule actions_module modules/mod_actions.so
LoadModule speling_module modules/mod_speling.so
LoadModule userdir_module modules/mod_userdir.so
LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so
LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
LoadModule cache_module modules/mod_cache.so
LoadModule suexec_module modules/mod_suexec.so
LoadModule disk_cache_module modules/mod_disk_cache.so
LoadModule file_cache_module modules/mod_file_cache.so
LoadModule mem_cache_module modules/mod_mem_cache.so
LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so

(I changed the actual domain name for this post)

<VirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx:80>
SuexecUserGroup "#506" "#506"
ServerName domain.com
ServerAlias www.domain.com
DocumentRoot /home/domain/public_html
ErrorLog /home/domain/logs/error_log
CustomLog /home/domain/logs/access_log common
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/domain/cgi-bin/
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
<Directory /home/domain/public_html>
Options Indexes IncludesNOEXEC FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI
allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Thanks for your help.
Scott

To clear up some of the confusing advice you've been getting:

- the extension is not important, .cgi is fine.
- you don't need the CGI:Carp module (don't complicate life unnecessarily)

Thanks!  When I removed this line, it all of a sudden started working.
Maybe I had a typo or something.

- your problem is simply that you script does not output a content-type header. Did you read the doc I referred you to?

Weird, I got your "first" message, shortly after I got your "2nd"
message. It's quite useful. Thanks again!