From: David Wolever [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:56 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Apache Starts Intermittently

Hello List,
I've noticed that, on the two web servers I keep alive, Apache will tell me it
has started when it really has not.
I will re-start Apache:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache restart
  * Stopping apache...                   [ ok ]
  * Starting apache...                     [ ok ]
But, if I use `ps aufx | grep apache` to check and see if it is running,
nothing shows up (and, obviously, I can't connect to port 80).
If I do exactly the same thing to re-start it again, it usually works just
fine.  The only way I can tell the difference between a fake start and a real
start is that a real start takes a second or so longer.
Both machines are running Gentoo and Apache 1.3.33.
Is this an issue with Apache?  With Gentoo?  Does it happen to anyone else?
Thanks,
David