Hello,

I'm having trouble rewriting URLs with my .htaccess file when I connect
using a WAP 1.1 phone.  I've looked around and found a number of postings
about configuring Apache for access to index.wml, but I just want to have
a rewrite no matter what browser I connect with.  Any ideas of how to get
this to work or suggestions on better approaches would be greatly
appreciated.

Here's my current .htaccess:

.htaccess
  RewriteEngine on

  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.urlAA.net$ [OR]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^urlAA.net$ [OR]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mm.urlAA.net$
  RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.urlBB:8080/myservlet/$1 [R,L]

When I connect with IE or Firefox to www.urlAA.net/m/nate, I get directed
to www.urlBB:8080/myservlet/m/nate.  This then lets me download my WML
data.  When I attempt to do the same with my phone (WAP v1.1), I get a 404
error.

I was able to get my phone to connect by "hacking" my .htaccess file:

.htaccess   #2
  RewriteEngine on

  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.urlAA.net$ [OR]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^urlAA.net$ [OR]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mm.urlAA.net$
  RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.urlBB:8080/myservlet/m/nate [R,L]

Now my browsers and my phone can successfully access the data.  However,
the "nate" part of the URL is a username field.  This means I can't
hardcode it to nate in the .htaccess file because it will be different for
each user.

Am I missing something simple here?

Thank you for the help,
-Nate