Nils-Börje Eklöf wrote:
I am running a Widows XP pro system and trying to set up a webserver.

I have downloaded these files apache_2.2.2-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi

ok, why these below?

apache_2.2.2-win32-x86-symbols.zip
httpd-2.2.2-win32-src.zip
httpd-2.2.2-win32-src.zip.asc.txt
httpd-2.2.2-win32-src.zip.md5.txt

The installing of the msi file was successful and I can access the server via C:/.../htdocs where i find the index.html location.

Great!

Where do I put the unzipped files from the downloads I list above.

Anywhere you like.

What are they doing?

Telling you how the code was written and compiled for crash debugging.  You
probably won't need them, I'm wondering why you ignored README in the
windows download location (http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/)

How can I move my default http-directory to D:?

Switch the <Directory "c:/.../htdocs"> and DocumentRoot c:/.../htdocs
(whereever ... is) to somewhere over on d:/ by editing your conf/httpd.conf
file.

Where do I find a manual for rockies that is written for XP-users (I find most of the helpmanuals to go to deep into what to me seems to be UNIX-stuff. Makes no sense for me...)

Sure it does, if you just remember that d:/files/web/ for example is just
the same as d:\files\web - but that Apache wants configurations to use forward
slashes (backslashes mean something special) and you put drive letters in.

Special windows-specific differences are all covered here and here...

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/platform/windows.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_winnt.html

So - can anyone help a newbee to run Apache on XP?

Something big changed in 2.2 - most of the configuration sections are optional,
included in conf/httpd.conf from the conf/extras/ collection of feature configs.
Check them out.

Sounds like you are making progress!  See any of the beginners guides, getting
started with Apache, there are several good books out there too.  Don't just
say you can't understand the unix examples, or you leave yourself without alot
of good ideas.  If you drop into the Dublin ApacheCon late June, I'm presenting
getting started with Apache 2 on Windows on Friday a.m.

http://www.apachecon.com/

Bill