On 5/29/06, Mattias Segerdahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm experiencing difficulties using apache in the following environment. Is
there any good solution that would solve the security problems?

Server version: Apache/2.2.2
Server built:   May 14 2006 18:14:53
PHP 5.1.4 (cli) (built: May  5 2006 19:14:55)

Virtual users are stored under /home/web/domain.tld/username where users
have access to their directory using a ftpd with virtual accounts. All files
and directories are owned by a single system uid/gid.

Now, using this setup, users can access files and directories outside their
own home using php, this is something that I really need to prevent. I'd
like to chroot/jail them to their own directory. I could run a config parser
and set up <Directory> settings for each users having php_admin_value set
for open_basedir. But that seems to be a bit much.

Is there any other way to approach this problem?

There is no simple answer to this problem.  If you trust open_basedir,
then that is the easiest solution.  Otherwise, the solutions involve
running php as a cgi script under suexec or similar program, or
running multiple apache instances with a proxy in front to dispatch to
the correct instance.

Joshua.