Running php as cgi would still involve unique uid's, and I've got about 30k+
virtual users.

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] För Joshua Slive
Skickat: den 29 maj 2006 22:47
Till: users@httpd.apache.org
Ämne: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Running vhosts with php and virtual users

On 5/29/06, Mattias Segerdahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm experiencing difficulties using apache in the following
> environment. Is there any good solution that would solve the security
problems?

> Server version: Apache/2.2.2
> Server built:   May 14 2006 18:14:53
> PHP 5.1.4 (cli) (built: May  5 2006 19:14:55)
>
> Virtual users are stored under /home/web/domain.tld/username where
> users have access to their directory using a ftpd with virtual
> accounts. All files and directories are owned by a single system uid/gid.
>
> Now, using this setup, users can access files and directories outside
> their own home using php, this is something that I really need to
> prevent. I'd like to chroot/jail them to their own directory. I could
> run a config parser and set up <Directory> settings for each users
> having php_admin_value set for open_basedir. But that seems to be a bit
much.

> Is there any other way to approach this problem?

There is no simple answer to this problem.  If you trust open_basedir, then
that is the easiest solution.  Otherwise, the solutions involve running php
as a cgi script under suexec or similar program, or running multiple apache
instances with a proxy in front to dispatch to the correct instance.

Joshua.