Joshua Slive wrote:
On 6/26/06, Forrest Aldrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
We are developing a new infrastructure that will serve up images
directly from a database.

In front of this process, we would like to place a cache of the most
frequently accessed images.  This would serve to reduce the load on the
database image server.

The images are small (under 200k).

My question is what is the most effective way to do this (without a
commercial cache solution like akamai).

Some thoughts:  some apache proxying tricks, squid, or a lightweight
daemon that's dedicated to caching.

Along those thought lines are the underlying filesystem, etc.

Any pointers would be appreciated, thank you.

Apache's mod_cache + mod_disk_cache was designed for jobs exactly like
this.  Make sure you use version 2.2.2, since earlier versions had
bugs.

Joshua.

This appears to be experimental.

How would an approach like this compare to a product such as Squid (in terms of use). Obviously Squid is very much more specialized and requires resources to scale properly.

Thanks.