Thanks. You mean mod_ssl's %{HTTPS} variable, right?

And how do I use it to drive conditional directives? Since %{HTTPS}
always exists, with a value "no" or "yes" (according to what you wrote),
I can't use it directly with the "Allow from env=..." form, because that
checks for the existence of the referred variable. I don't seem to be
able to use it in SetEnvIf either - it just doesn't provide the expected
result.

So what's the common practice to specify conditional directives based on
env. variables, or at least use the "Allow from env=..." form with an
always-existing variable?

thx
mortee

Boyle Owen wrote:
YOu can put a Directory block at server config level, ie, outside all
VHs. Then it applies globally. As regards making the directives
conditional on the protocol used, you could use mod_rewrite - it has
a built-in environment variable, %{HTTPS} that is "on" or "off"
depending on whether HTTPS was used.