Jacqui Caren wrote:
Joshua Slive wrote:

We won't get anywhere with this kind of example.  Show a precise, real
example including information about the file system and show the exact
message from the error log.

First assuming that the symlink was created correctly access right are OK etc...

Since we are in the realms of guesswork I will assume that the
'link_to_a_directory' does NOT have a trailing slash - which you need
to follow the symlink. Note that the symlink is NOT a dir but a link
to something.

  /var/www/link_to_dir is a symlink
  /var/www/link_to_dir/. is the directory.
so
 /var/www/link_to_dir/ is a reasonable directory pattern

try

ls -l /var/www/link_to_dir
and
ls -l /var/www/link_to_dir/
ls -l /var/www/link_to_dir/.

At least this is the mistake I have made in the past :-)

Jacqui

DocumentRoot "/srv/www/mediawiki/"

#
# Configure the DocumentRoot
#
<Directory "/srv/www/mediawiki/">
        # Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
        # or any combination of:
        #   Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI
MultiViews
        #
        # Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
        # doesn't give it to you.
        #
        # The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please see
        # http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.2/mod/core.html#options
        # for more information.
        Options FollowSymLinks
        # AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess
files.
        # It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
        #   Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
</Directory>

chloe:/srv/www # l
total 28
drwxr-xr-x  7 root   root 4096 Jul 27 18:48 ./
drwxr-xr-x  6 root   root 4096 May 17 22:45 ../
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root 4096 May 17 22:04 cgi-bin/
drwxr-xr-x  4 root   root 4096 May 17 22:04 htdig/
drwxr-xr-x  7 root   root 4096 Jul 27 17:54 htdocs/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root 4096 May 17 22:38 icons/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 wwwrun www    15 Jul 27 18:48 mediawiki -> mediawiki-1.5.8/
drwxr-xr-x 12 wwwrun www  4096 Mar 26 14:43 mediawiki-1.5.8/

No matter what I get the following error message if it is symlink to
a directory.

[Fri Jul 28 07:21:26 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /srv/www/mediawiki

Is there any way to override the settings at this point?

Thanks,

LDB