Vagelis Papadogiannakis wrote:
> Ok, after a long night, I finally did the stupid thing...
>
> I accidentally destroyed all the vhost configuration files from the
> vhost.ddirectory.
> This directory contained separete .conf files which described every
> vhost of
> the system
>
> I dont have any backups (this is what I was trying to do when I
> accidentally
> truncated them to empty files).
>
> The apache is running now, but I cannot stop it / restart it / add or edit
> the config
>
> I allready tried at the /proc/{PID} of apache but found nothing usefull.
>
> Any Ideas, are more than welcome, actually u will save me if you can find a
> way around this. I will be your slave forever.
> As you may have noticed, I am desparate.
>
> suse 10 64 bit,
> Apache 2.0.54

What I would do on Solaris:
  - gcore <apache PID>
  - strings core.<pid> > core_apache.txt
  - have a look inside the strings

I just had a look on our web server, it looks promising, the
configuration is there, though it's been parsed and need some work.
</Directory>
/Limit></VirtualHost>
/Direct<VirtualHost
144.204.16.5:80>
DocumentRoot

However, I don't know what's the equivalent of gcore on a GNU/Linux box,
though there must be one.

Laurent