Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion.

There is one line in error_log for each request, like this:

[Tue Aug 22 15:04:55 2006] [warn] proxy: No protocol handler was valid
for the URL /test.html. If you are using a DSO version of mod_proxy,
make sure the proxy submodules are included in the configuration using
LoadModule.

Looking at /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, among the other LoadModule
statements are the following:
LoadModule proxy_balancer_module modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so
LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so
LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so

httpd configtest and startup/shutdown run fine, i.e. no config file
errors.  Am I missing a mod_proxy submodule?

Or is it something in my cluster configuration, repeated below, that's wrong?
ProxyPass / balancer://my_cluster stickysession=jsessionid nofailover=On
ProxyPassReverse / balancer://my_cluster
<Proxy balancer://my_cluster>
 BalancerMember http://1.2.3.4
 BalancerMember http://5.6.7.8
</Proxy>