Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has tried deleting/commenting out ALL of the
"_default_" VirtualHost sections in httpd.conf/ssl.conf?

Does doing this cause any problems with Apache?

One of my colleagues has suggested that doing this helps secure Apache, because then Apache
wouldn't process any requests that don't match our other <VirtualHost> sections, but my
read of the Apache docs, e.g., http://www.apacheweek.com/issues/97-03-14, is that it doesn't
prevent Apache from processing requests not matching any VirtualHost sections, but rather just
causes Apache to process those requests from the "main server".

You are correct.  If a request doesn't match any NameVirtualHost
directive and doesn't match any _default_ <VirtualHost>, then it will
be served by the main server.

Also, when we tried that (deleting the "_default_" sections), I *think* (but am not sure)
that we may have been seeing some behavior where Apache would "slow down", i.e., serve
content very slowly.

No.  It should make no difference in speed.

Joshua.