> > Also, when we tried that (deleting the "_default_" sections), I *think*
> > (but am not sure) that we may have been seeing some behavior where Apache
> > would "slow down", i.e., serve content very slowly.
>
> No.  It should make no difference in speed.

Joshua,

Thanks for the response(s).  Re. the comments above, my understanding of the
way the Apache works is that when it receives an incoming request, it searches
through the <VirtualHost>s that have been defined, for a match, and I was
thinking that if the _default_ sections were deleted, maybe there may have been
some anomalous behavior when Apache couldn't find a match and the _default_
sections weren't present.

As mentioned above, we tried a test where we deleted all of the_default_
VirtualHost sections.  Perhaps we messed things up when we did our test, but we
think we noticed that system responsiveness (to the end user) slowed down.

I think, but am not sure, that from some diagnostics we did at that time, it
also looked like Apache was processing requests for IP address "0.0.0.0", which
kind of puzzled me.

FYI, this was with Apache 2.0.55 on Solaris SPARC.  That testing was done
awhile ago, and I'll have to see if I can reproduce it now.

Thanks again,
Jim