Thanks for the response(s).  Re. the comments above, my understanding of the way the
Apache works is that when it receives an incoming request, it searches through the
<VirtualHost>s that have been defined, for a match, and I was thinking that if
the _default_ sections were deleted, maybe there may have been some anomalous
behavior when Apache couldn't find a match and the _default_ sections weren't present.

As mentioned above, we tried a test where we deleted all of the_default_
VirtualHost sections.  Perhaps we messed things up when we did our test, but we
think we noticed that system responsiveness (to the end user) slowed down.

There will obviously be some small difference in request-processing.
But the vhost-matching time is really just noise in comparison to
total request processing time.  You wouldn't notice it except in
extreme conditions.

I think, but am not sure, that from some diagnostics we did at that time, it also looked
like Apache was processing requests for IP address "0.0.0.0", which kind of
puzzled me.

By default apache listens on all available addresses.  I don't know
what is puzzling you about that.

Joshua.