On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:12:01 -0500, you wrote (with possible editing):

...snip

>> There is no favicon in GNWCA.  Everything points to the options
>> directive, but that is copied from the tutorial.
>
>As you say, things are quite clear here.  If you make a request for a
>directory, apache first checks the DirectoryIndex directive for files
>to search for in that directory (usually index.html).  If it can't
>find any of those files, it will attempt to provide a directory
>listing.  But if you Options directive for that directory doesn't
>include the "Indexes" option, then you will get a 403 error.
>
>More info here:
>http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Recipes/DirectoryListings
>
>Joshua.

Thanks, Joshua, apparently that was it.  What threw me off was the
complaint about permissions - what it really meant was that the file
wasn't there.

Where would you put the Options directive - in httpd.conf or under the
individual directory in httpd-vhosts.conf?  And what form does it
take?

Thanks again
--

Larry