There is also mod_auth_mysql which I got to work on 2.2.3 for both user
and group (at the time I tried 2.2.3, only user auth was available).
There is a patch available for mod_auth_mysql-3.0.0 to make it compile
with Apache 2.2.3.

We installed the compiled version of mod_auth_mysql for Apache 2.2.3 but when attempting to
access the protected are Apache crashes with:

[Tue Jan 23 10:35:40 2007] [error] [mod_authn_mysql.c] MySQL Connection to mysql://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/dolauth Failed: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

Any ideas?

Here is the relevant conf:

<Directory "c:/dol/pub/">
   # Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

  AuthName "MySQL Secured Place"
   AuthType Digest
   AuthDigestProvider mysql
   AuthnMySQLServerConfig SRV1
   require valid-user
</Directory>

LoadModule authn_mysql_module modules/mod_authn_mysql.so
AuthnMySQLDBHost SRV1 localhost
AuthnMySQLDBHost SRV1 localhost
AuthnMySQLDBUsername SRV1 root
AuthnMySQLDBPassword SRV1 1234