Nathan Kellogg <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> There is also mod_auth_mysql which I got to work on 2.2.3 for both
>> user and group (at the time I tried 2.2.3, only user auth was
>> available). There is a patch available for mod_auth_mysql-3.0.0 to
>> make it compile with Apache 2.2.3.
>
> We installed the compiled version of mod_auth_mysql for Apache
> 2.2.3 but when attempting to access the protected are Apache
> crashes with:

mod_authn_mysql != mod_auth_mysql. See below.

> [Tue Jan 23 10:35:40 2007] [error] [mod_authn_mysql.c] MySQL
> Connection to mysql://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/dolauth Failed: Client does not
> support authentication protocol requested by server; consider
> upgrading MySQL client

mod_authn_mysql.c, to my knowledge, is not part of mod_auth_mysql so if
you ask me the error doesn't come from mod_auth_mysql.

>     AuthType Digest
              ^^^^^^^^
I'm not sure and I didn't look it up, but the error above may be due to
the fact that digest authtype isn't supported by mod_authn_mysql that
you seem to be using. See below.

>     AuthnMySQLServerConfig SRV1

AuthnMySQLServerConfig is not a mod_auth_mysql directive.
http://modauthmysql.sourceforge.net/CONFIGURE

> LoadModule authn_mysql_module modules/mod_authn_mysql.so

Again, mod_authn_mysql != mod_auth_mysql.
               ^                 ^
---------------|-----------------|

I have something like this:

<Directory "<dirname>">
  AuthName "Authentication required."
  AuthType Basic

  AuthMySQLHost <db_host>
  AuthMySQLDB <db_name>
  AuthMySQLUser <db_user>
  AuthMySQLPassword <db_pass>

  AuthMySQLAuthoritative On
  AuthMySQLPwEncryption <enc_type>

  AuthMySQLUserTable <users_table>
  AuthMySQLGroupTable <groups_table>
  AuthMySQLNameField <field_name_user>
  AuthMySQLPasswordField <field_name_pass>
  AuthMySQLGroupField <field_name_group>

  AuthMySQLEnable On

  Require group admin
</Directory>

> Any ideas?

Well, install package mod_auth_mysql-3.0.0 if available for your distro,
configure it with mod_auth_mysql directives and try with "AuthType
Basic". The above config works for me so.

Grts,
Rob