The Gaijin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 5/9/07, The Gaijin  wrote:
>> Dave Henderson wrote:
>> > Gang,
>> >
>> >     I am pulling my hair out over this.  I am trying to redirect the
>> > browser so if a user were to type in something like:
>> > www.domain.com/fun it would redirect to
>> > www.domain.com/games/default.html.  I have tried Alias's, redirect and
>> > RedirectMatch statements with no luck.  Any help would greatly be
>> > appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Dave
>> RewriteRule ^/fun$ http://www.domain.com/games/default.html [R]
>>
>> May not be the only or best way, but should work a treat.
>
> That's fine, but to avoid mod_rewrite you can use simply
> Redirect /fun http://www.domain.com/games/default.html
> or
> RedirectMatch ^/fun$ http://www.domain.com/games/default.html
> if you want to be more restrictive.
>
> Joshua.

Dave -

As Joshua has noted Redirect is the most expedient way, but you say
that's not working.  How exactly is it failing?  Apache won't* start?
Doesn't redirect** as you would expect?  Returns an error**?

R.

* Run apachctl configtest (or your site equivalent - Debian/Ubuntu call
it apachectl or apache2ctl depending on the version of Apache HTTPd
you're running) and copy the error into your reply.

** A sanitized copy of the appropriate parts of your httpd.conf or
.htaccess would be required to figure out why it's not working.  Alias /
AliasMatch only work in the server config or vitual host context.
Redirect will work in an .htaccess file, but may not be allowed by your
server configuration.  The appropriate access_log or error_log may also
have useful information -  copy the appropriate lines in the log to your
follow-up as well.

    Thanks for your replies guys.  Yes I have tried both of the methods that
Joshua said and neither of them worked.  I don't get any errors when apache
starts (using 2.0.x) on a Debian Sarge server.  I get an error when I try to
access the adjusted url (in this case for the 2nd website its
http://www.digital-pipe.com/pay should redirect to
https://secure.digital-pipe.com/paybill.html), I get a "404 not found" error in
the browser.
    I initially tried to get this to work on another webpage, and then tried it
on another thinking that some of the config file for the original site might be
causing problems.  Here is the relevant config file for the 2nd site I tried.

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80>
...server information here...

        <Directory /var/www/digital-pipe.com/www>
                Options Indexes Includes
                AllowOverride Options
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all

                Redirect permanent /account.html
http://login.digital-pipe.com/account.html
                Redirect permanent /paybill.html
https://secure.digital-pipe.com/paybill.html

Redirect /pay https://secure.digital-pipe.com/ssl/paybill.html
#               Redirect permanent /pay.html
https://secure.digital-pipe.com/paybill.html

#               RedirectMatch ^/pay$
https://secure.digital-pipe.com/paybill.html
#               RedirectMatch ^/ssl/(.*) https://secure.digital-pipe.com/$1

#               RewriteEngine On
#               RewriteRule ^pay$ /ssl/paybill.html

#               Redirect permanent /ssl
https://secure.digital-pipe.com/paybill.html
#               Redirect permanent /pay
https://secure.digital-pipe.com/terminal.html