Demetri T. wrote:

thats already set by default when i installed apache(which is www-data). I think i am having an issue either with file/directory permissions and/or on how Apache is starting up; it just stays running as root instead switching over to www-data (the user/group set when installed).

I am having a hard time finding the requirements for apache to run as another user, would you or anyone know. i have checked the apache docs to no avail, and still searching the net.

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong but IIRC, invoking httpd directly results in it continuing to run as the user that invoked it.

As stated in the manpage for httpd:

httpd is the Apache HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) server program. It is designed to be run as a standalone daemon process. When used like this it will create a pool of child processes or threads to handle requests.

In general, httpd should not be invoked directly, but rather should be invoked via apachectl on Unix-based sys- tems or as a service on Windows NT, 2000 and XP and as a console application on Windows 9x and ME.

How are you starting Apache?

Are you using the startup script apachectl or are you starting it directly?

Most *nix type OS distributions also have a startup script that is run at system boot to invoke httpd which generally does some house keeping stuff and then invokes apachectl. You may have to use a utility like checkcfg on Red Hat systems or your system's equivalent to enable the startup on boot.

Dragon