Joshua Slive wrote:
On 7/25/07, Demetri T. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

thats already set by default when i installed apache(which is
www-data).  I think i am having an issue either with file/directory
permissions and/or on how Apache is starting up; it just stays running
as root instead switching over to www-data (the user/group set when
installed).

I am having a hard time finding the requirements for apache to run as
another user, would you or anyone know. i have checked the apache docs
to no avail, and still searching the net.

You are probably misinterpreting something, since apache will not run
as root without compile-time changes.

There is supposed to be one (control) process running as root that
launches child processes running under the specified User/Group that
actually handle requests.

Joshua.

Ok so looking at my proc list i see 6 apache process(only one with PID 1) and all of them running as root. Does that mean i need to compile apache with specific options?
I looked over my apache setup this is what i have:

apache is executed using the apache2 script in /etc/init.d
the apache2 script then calls on apachectl in the /usr/bin directory
apachectl then executes apache2 which is in the same directory

I also went over my apache2.conf file and the user/group directives are listed as:
user www-data
group www-data

I am still trying to find the permissions apache needs for the server root, document root, and log directory. any idea on this?

Also if you know any good books that you can recommend i am all ears?

Thanks for your help and time
Demetri