Hi Noodl;

  thanks for all the info. Even I can't remember how I got to that download
site... Anyway, I opened a command line (as root) and tried the "apachectl
start" command, but it came back with "bash: apachectl: command not found. I'll
keep doggedly pursuing this. And thanks for the link.

  regards,

  KP

Vincent Bray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  On 13/08/07, Kathi Porter wrote:
> Hi;
> I'm a brand-spanking new "newbie when it comes to Apache web server. I'll be
> atking a class next spring, but wanted to install it and "play" with it a
> bit before then.
> I'm running a knoppix

I haven't ever used knoppix so can't answer your questions directly, sorry.

> (linux/X Windows GUI) virtual appliance within a
> Windows XP enviroment (a DSL modem connected to a wireless router, with a
> firewall enabled on the router). In looking at the contents of the virtual
> HD root folder, the /etc/apache/ directory structure is present and contains
> the Apache configuration files. So I took a "leap of faith" and assumed
> Apache server was already installed & started on this image. But when I
> start the Firefox browser and enter the url - http://localhost/ I got the
> following error message:
> "Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at
> the locahost." So this has to mean the service isn't running.

Quite probably, yes.

> I don't see it
> listed among the installed applications. Does X Windows have an equivalent
> of the Microsoft Windows control panel?

No, in fact because X Windows has very few applications, and they're
mostly for testing. Rather, it's the underlying mechanism by which
certain applications send and recieve events to the screen.

> I checked under the control center,
> system, utlities and settings but didn't find anything familiar.

There's likely to be some GUI for starting and stopping services, but
perhaps not. Am I right in thinking that knoppix is a 'live' linux
installation that loses all 'state' (knowledge of previous runs) after
reboot? In any case, try opening a command line and running 'apachectl
start' as root.

> Do I need
> to do the binary install from
> http://www.uniontransit.com/apache/httpd/binaries/linux/

No! They're all way out of date. How did you find that site, by the
way? Having an 'apache' directory in /etc indicates that you have
apache installed.

> Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You might like to seek out a knoppix specific support channel for
this. In two years I don't recall anybody asking for help with this
OS, largely because of the 'no saved state' thing, but I could be
missing the point.

It doesn't have your distro, but this wiki page may help you find what's where:

http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DistrosDefaultLayout

--
noodl