Kathi, try ./apachectl instead of apachectl. Looks like the current dir is not in root's PATH.
-Robert

Kathi Porter wrote, on 8/12/2007 3:06 PM:
Hi Noodl;
thanks for all the info. Even I can't remember how I got to that download site... Anyway, I opened a command line (as root) and tried the "apachectl start" command, but it came back with "bash: apachectl: command not found. I'll keep doggedly pursuing this. And thanks for the link. regards, KP

*/Vincent Bray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

    On 13/08/07, Kathi Porter wrote:
    > Hi;
    > I'm a brand-spanking new "newbie when it comes to Apache web
    server. I'll be
    > atking a class next spring, but wanted to install it and "play"
    with it a
    > bit before then.
    > I'm running a knoppix

    I haven't ever used knoppix so can't answer your questions
    directly, sorry.

    > (linux/X Windows GUI) virtual appliance within a
    > Windows XP enviroment (a DSL modem connected to a wireless
    router, with a
    > firewall enabled on the router). In looking at the contents of
    the virtual
    > HD root folder, the /etc/apache/ directory structure is present
    and contains
    > the Apache configuration files. So I took a "leap of faith" and
    assumed
    > Apache server was already installed & started on this image. But
    when I
    > start the Firefox browser and enter the url - http://localhost/
    I got the
    > following error message:
    > "Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the
    server at
    > the locahost." So this has to mean the service isn't running.

    Quite probably, yes.

    > I don't see it
    > listed among the installed applications. Does X Windows have an
    equivalent
    > of the Microsoft Windows control panel?

    No, in fact because X Windows has very few applications, and they're
    mostly for testing. Rather, it's the underlying mechanism by which
    certain applications send and recieve events to the screen.

    > I checked under the control center,
    > system, utlities and settings but didn't find anything familiar.

    There's likely to be some GUI for starting and stopping services, but
    perhaps not. Am I right in thinking that knoppix is a 'live' linux
    installation that loses all 'state' (knowledge of previous runs) after
    reboot? In any case, try opening a command line and running 'apachectl
    start' as root.

    > Do I need
    > to do the binary install from
    > http://www.uniontransit.com/apache/httpd/binaries/linux/

    No! They're all way out of date. How did you find that site, by the
    way? Having an 'apache' directory in /etc indicates that you have
    apache installed.

    > Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    You might like to seek out a knoppix specific support channel for
    this. In two years I don't recall anybody asking for help with this
    OS, largely because of the 'no saved state' thing, but I could be
    missing the point.

    It doesn't have your distro, but this wiki page may help you find
    what's where:

    http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DistrosDefaultLayout

-- noodl