thanks Joshua for helping, I really appreciate your instantaneous and correct
solution.

Just to point out confusion in the thread -

first time you replied -
"check for mod_cache, mod_file_cache, and similar modules. If they are turned
off, then you don't likely have any caching going on."

my reply -
" There isn't any cache related entry in that file.
So what's the default setting of apache server ?"
I was expecting the answer that without doing anything apart from
normal installation of apache server, will there be caching ? and how to find
about it?

your reply -
"But in the default install you will not have any apache-level caching
 if mod_cache and mod_file_cache are both disabled."
now again we end up with same question, how do I know these things are disabled?

that's why I asked again. And then I got the correct answer.

" As long as mod_cache and mod_file_cache are not configured, there is no
caching in a default install of apache."

Anyways no hard feelings but just wanted to show lack of clarity in your answer.
Thanks for helping me, I really bombarded you with series of questions, still
you answered them promptly.

thanks & regards,
-Rahul

Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On 9/9/07, rahul gundecha  wrote:

> Joshua Slive  wrote:
>  On 9/9/07, rahul gundecha wrote:
> > thanks Joshua for replying.
> > As I was posting to Apache, I assumed implicit context is Apache.
> >
> > I seen apache documentation mod_cache, mod_file_cache and searched for
> those
> > entries in httpd.conf. There isn't any cache related entry in that file.
> So
> > what's the default setting of apache server ?
> > And is there any command or any other file through which I can see status
> of
> > the caching in apache server ?
>
> Apache is a modular server, and any module could conceivably do
> caching, so there is no single command that can answer that question.
> But in the default install you will not have any apache-level caching
> if mod_cache and mod_file_cache are both disabled.
>
> thanks to Joshua for replying
> my doubt is if  "There isn't any cache related entry in that file,  what's
> the default setting of apache server ? "
>  How to find if mod_cache and mod_file_cache are both disabled?
>
> Can I say that if there is no cache config entry, means there is no caching
> in Apache ?

I think I've already said this twice, but here goes a third time: As
long as mod_cache and mod_file_cache are not configured, there is no
caching in a default install of apache.

Joshua.