Nothing? No one has ever used rotatelogs.exe? Well, surely all you pros out there are rotating your companies' logs somehow... what and how are you doing it, and is it something I can use?

Mark

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Apache 2.2, rotatelogs.exe, and Windows
From: Mark A. Craig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Date: Thursday, September 13, 2007 04:19:22 PM

I want to use rotatelogs.exe to archive my logs with Apache 2.2 running in Windows 2000. WHen I try to configure it the server fails to start and bitches about Unicode characters on line 1 of httpd.conf that aren't actually there. I've read the docs repeatedly, but it's not entirely explicit about how to implement it, esp. under Windows.

LogFormat "%a/%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" ip-host-combined

   # don't log (RSS) requests from FeedBurner
   SetEnvIfNoCase Remote_Host "fetch.feedburner.com" dontlog
   # don't log MSN search bots
   SetEnvIfNoCase Remote_Host ".+\.search.live.com" dontlog
   # don't log Yahoo! search bots
   SetEnvIfNoCase Remote_Host ".+\.crawl.yahoo.net" dontlog
   # don't log Google search bots
   SetEnvIfNoCase Remote_Host ".+\.googlebot.com" dontlog
   SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI "^/robots\.txt$" dontlog
   SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI "^/favicon\.ico$" dontlog

   CustomLog logs/access_ip-host-combined.log ip-host-combined env=!dontlog
#CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs logs/access_ip-host-combined.%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S.log 2592000 -480" ip-host-combined env=!dontlog

Do I add a customlog pipe to rotatelogs IN ADDITION to existing log directives, or are they meant to replace the existing? This is one of the things the docs fail to specify. Another issue: what if I want an archived file of the form access_yyyy_mm-dd.LOG, as opposed to the example in the docs which shows the date-stamp BEING the extension? Does the parsing of rotatelogs allow such a variant?

Has anyone experimented with rotatelogs enough to know the answers to these questions?

Mark