Hi Johan,

>   FINALLY, my question is :
>    I would like to allow more machine resources to Apache to
> handle more connections and reduce the time to display a page.
>    I reduce the timeout to 45 and :
>     <IfModule prefork.c>
>     StartServers                      15
>     MinSpareServers                   10
>     MaxSpareServers                   20
>     MaxClients                        256
>     MaxRequestsPerChild       0
>     </IfModule>
>
>     I tried the put MaxClients  = 512 but I have a message error :
>       WARNING: MaxClients of 512 exceeds ServerLimit value of
> 256 servers,
>        lowering MaxClients to 256.  To increase, please see
> the ServerLimit
>        directive.
>     I think that's the default Ubuntu options.
>
>     Is this "maxclient" the way to go to have significant
> increase of performance? Should I recompile Apache for this?
> Is there any point I should tune instead of MaxClient ?
>
>      Thanks by advance for any advices,
>
>       Johan

In the case of prefork there is not really a difference between
ServerLimit and MaxClients both should be set to the same value.
I was a bit concerned about the MaxRequestsPerChild that you have set to
0. Personally I would rather set it to a higher value than set it to not
expire.

From the documentation:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#maxclients
For non-threaded servers (i.e., prefork), MaxClients translates into the
maximum number of child processes that will be launched to serve
requests. The default value is 256; to increase it, you must also raise
ServerLimit.

Regards