On 10/10/07, Joseph Marcelletti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I actually use a different log format then combinedio, but the point
> is made. The question is, if I have say 50 virtual hosts with the same
> format.. 1 customlog for a log in their home directory, and a
> customlog that is IDENTICAL in every virtualhost.. does apache use 1
> file handle for the global.log? Is this the most efficient way to
> accomplish the goal? (The goal being having X information about each
> vhost logged to the same global file).

I think you'll get 1 file handle for each CustomLog line. You can use
lsof to verify.

What you're doing probably isn't a good idea anyway. It appears you
are writing log files to user directories. As the security warnings in
the docs tell you, this allows your users to gain root on the server.
You are better off logging to one log file (or one piped-logging
program) and post-splitting the log lines for your individual user
logs.

Joshua.